Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Day Three - Highway Camp to Isiolo

Distance: 81.16km
Ride time: 3:44

So, I set out with high hopes for the day. The prospect of only six or seven ks of dirt until sweet pavement practically had my heart racing.

I started out pretty slowly - rolling along looking at stuff. Once we hit the sweet, sweet pavement though, I felt like going faster. I only stopped to look at this thing. It looked like a massive rock ship rotating out of the fog.



The rest of the day was pretty easy. Still feeling weak and pushing my massive tires didn't seem like fun, but it was nice to not be grovelling along. Made it to camp in pretty good time, so I had plenty of time to get a room for the night. I also spent a lot of time trying to get my bike clean. This was harder than it sounds when it is that muddy. Here is a pic of my bike during the muddy day.



It got even muddier than this on the next day. Crazy muddy.

With the sickness, I was pretty unenthusiastic about the whole cleaning bikes and changing tires things. I did a pretty shitty job of it, then just put my bike in the rain. I did put my Duranos on for the upcoming pavement. Then one of the tires blew up. So I called in one of the many tire changes I have done for other people and had them change it for me. Sweet.

The room was pretty good. The electricity came on and off, but the shower and toilet worked. It was probably the best nights sleep I have had all tour as well. Seven straight hours. Sweet. At 2230, they put the music on quietly in the bar. That was all good. But they also put the music on really loudly in the garden, right next to the rooms. I left it until I was good and mad at 2300 then went down to get them to turn it off. Or down. Or something. Long story short, I let loose the anger monster on those guys.

Dan's Camping Tip: Why camp when you can sleep under a mosquito net in a warm dry room.

No comments:

Post a Comment