Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Day Four - Desert Camp to Safaga

Kilometers riden: 613

Another pretty cruisy day. I hooked up with a really consistent rider called Eric to try and smooth out my day. Yesterday and the day before I had been pushing a bit too much in the morning and suffering a bit in the afternoon.

We managed to hold it together for the pretty short day. An already short, 102km day got shortened by the shifted campsite the night before, then the road towards Hurghada was too wet for us to ride, so we took the road straight to Safagha and dropped a couple of extra kilometres.

Eric and I got into a pretty good rhythm where he would pull on the downhills and the flats and I would pull us up the hills. It made things a lot easier. I accidentally dropped him on one hill and managed to take a self-portrait while he caught up:


Got into camp before noon. Pretty different. We went from this:

To this:


Went for an authentic burger, fish and chips for lunch (TDA truck lunch was at 9am or something on such a fast day), and am going to spend the afternoon drinking beer and relaxing on the beach.

Tomorrow is meant to be a pretty hard day: 139km and the first real hills of the tour.

4 comments:

  1. Do you get much variety from the lunch truck? I like the dolphin statue. Eric looks tired in that picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet beach. While you become even more of a skinny man I continue to become more whale-like. Today someone burst out laughing at the site of me walking down a hallway. Harsh!

    Justin had a great time at baby class last night. He had to play act that he was having a baby with a midwife who was screaming and carrying on convincingly. Amusingly the baby doll stuff up her shirt turned out to be a black.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was unable to determine if the baby was French.

    Eric does look tired, but I imagine you jollied him up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 613km already - it seems like you'll be finished next week. I can hardly ride 613km in a year.

    ReplyDelete